Scholarship Value $1,250
Number of Scholarships 5500
The District/Authority scholarship is awarded to 5,500 high school graduates who have demonstrated excellence in their chosen area.
The Ministry of Education and Child Care sets core eligibility requirements and general guidelines; local scholarship committees determine awarding criteria and select their conditional recipients.
The Ministry confirms that the selected students have meet basic criteria and then sends these confirmed recipients a $1,250 scholarship voucher. They may redeem this voucher with the Ministry to be reimbursed for tuition paid after they are attending a post-secondary institution that is designated by the Province of B.C. (i.e., approved for Canada Student Loans) or a program provider that is approved by the Industry Training Authority.
Students have five years to redeem their District/Authority scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- Spring: conditional recipients notified by their district/authority
- September: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- November: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
Students selected as conditional recipients of the District/Authority scholarship must satisfy the following requirements by August 31 of their graduating year to be confirmed as a recipient and receive their scholarship voucher:
- Meet core eligibility requirements
- Fulfill the graduation requirements of either the B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma) or the B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood)
- Meet criteria determined by the student’s local scholarship committee, including demonstration of outstanding achievement in one of the areas listed online.