Scholarship Value $1,000
Number of Scholarships 2
Welcome potential scholarship winners!
Each year the Pacific Coast Amateur Hockey Association awards a number of scholarships in recognition of academic achievement and community/school service combined with hockey participation.
If you are:
- A currently PCAHA-registered player in the U18 (Midget) or U21 (Juvenile) divisions
- who is in Grade 11, Grade 12, or finished high school or
- A currently registered referee or team official who is in Grade 11, Grade 12, or finished high school and who would be eligible to be registered as a player in the PCAHA U18 (Midget) or U21 (Juvenile) divisions.
Before applying, please read the program summary and guidelines, below. Then, carefully complete the Scholarship Application form and attach the required supporting letters and other documents.
To be considered, your Scholarship Application must be received at the PCAHA Office on or before March 31st. Late applications will not be considered.
Note: Those scholarship applicants who are having trouble obtaining one or two of the required elements (e.g., Association letter, letter from the Principal/Counsellor, most recent school report card, or transcript of high school grades) should submit their application to the PCAHA Office on or before, March 31
PCAHA awards a number of scholarships and bursaries each year to individuals who apply and who best combine the qualifications set out hereunder.
Eligibility - To be eligible, an individual must be:
currently registered as a player in the PCAHA U18 or U21 divisions, or currently
- registered as a referee or team official but eligible to be registered as a player in the PCAHA U18 or U21 divisions; and
- in grade 11 or 12, or finished high school.
3. Utilization of Scholarships - Recipients in high school will have two years after graduation to utilize a scholarship. Those recipients finished high school will have two years to utilize a scholarship. (Upon receipt of a written request from a scholarship recipient, the PCAHA Executive Director can grant an extension to the two-year limitation). Scholarship funds must be used for tuition at a post-secondary educational institution. Should the scholarship amount be greater than one year’s tuition, the remainder may be applied towards a second year’s tuition.
4. An individual may not receive more than one award from the PCAHA Scholarship Program in a playing season except that the recipient of a Special Bursary Award under clauses 14- 15, below, shall be eligible to apply for a Scholarship Award under clauses 5-13, below, and, if selected, also receive that Award. A Scholarship or Bursary recipient shall be eligible to receive a Scholarship or Bursary in any subsequent year of eligibility.
U18 AND/OR U21 SCHOLARSHIPS:
5. A number of scholarships are awarded in recognition of academic achievement and community/school service combined with hockey participation, to individuals described in (2), above, who best meet the criteria in (7), below. The PCAHA and the sponsors of the Scholarship Program wish to encourage participants to continue their involvement in Minor Hockey while achieving their academic goals.
6. Scholarships to be Awarded - The number and value of PCAHA scholarships will be determined by the Scholarship Committee and Executive Committee.
- Academic achievement.
- Good school and community participation and service.
- Hockey participation.
8. How to Apply - Applicants should complete the PCAHA Scholarship Application Form (available from the PCAHA Office or on the PCAHA web site - see below) and submit a personal letter containing an outline of academic achievements, community/school participation and service, and other qualifications. In addition, the following must accompany the application:
- Letter from a designated executive member, Association official, or team official from the applicant’s Association.
- Letter from applicant’s school Principal or Counsellor.
- Copy of most recent school report card.
- Copy of transcript of high school grades.
9. Selection - Applications will be reviewed by an independent adjudication committee consisting of respected educators. Selections will be approved by the Scholarship Committee and Executive Committee as per By-Law 93.