Scholarship Value $3,500
Number of Scholarships 1
The John F. Hamilton Scholarship is an annual scholarship of $3,500 (increased from $2,500 in 2010) awarded to a student connected to the insurance industry, who is pursuing a post-secondary education. The scholarship was established by friends and members of Insurance Brokers Association of B.C. in 1999 and is funded in part from proceeds of IBABC's annual golf tournament. The scholarship celebrates the contributions of Jack Hamilton (1931–1998), who earned his Commerce degree from the University of B.C. in 1955 and contributed to the insurance profession immensely over a long and distinguished career. He was honoured as Insurance Person of the Year in 1994.
Applicants will be considered for this scholarship on the basis of these priorities, listed in order of preference:
1. Applicants employed in the insurance industry in B.C. or who are children or relatives of insurance industry professionals (with added preference given to applicants with a connection to members of the Insurance Brokers Association of B.C.);
2. Applicants must be enrolled in or display proof of acceptance in a post-secondary institution;
3. Applicants who are active in extra-curricular activities;
4. Applicants with high academic qualifications;
5. Applicants who show a commitment to community service; and
6. Applicants who can demonstrate financial need.